All you need to know about the NDIS
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is an exciting time for us and people with a disability. The NDIS is a way of providing individualised support for people with a disability, their families and carers.
The NDIS is the insurance that gives us all peace of mind. Eligible clients are provided with a flexible, whole way of life approach to the support needed to pursue their goals and aspirations.
BEST Community Connections is a registered provider under the scheme, and all of our staff are dedicated to helping our clients choose the decision that best suits their life, while making it simple and easy.
Disability could affect anyone and having the right support makes a big difference.
If you need help in understanding the NDIS and how it will affect you, Connections can help.
We can support you to:
- Understand the NDIS
- Find out if you are eligible
- Identify goals and aspirations that the NDIS may fund
- Help you apply for the NDIS
Firstly, are you eligible?
✔ Are you are less than 65 years of age, live in Australia and are an Australian citizen, or you have the paperwork to live here permanently?
✔ Is your disability likely to be with you for life and substantially impacts on how you manage every day activities? Because of this, do you require other people or certain equipment to assist you?
✔ Are you currently receiving support from a Disability Service Provider?
If you have answered yes to the above questions, then come in an speak to our team about a plan.
If you are not receiving funding and think you may be eligible for the NDIS, go to the website www.ndis.gov.au or call 1800 800 110 and ask for an access request form.
Creating a Plan
Once you are eligible, it’s time to create your plan. This is the start of a lifelong relationship with the NDIS and it’s all about you!
To create your first plan you will have a conversation with an NDIS representative about your current situation and supports. Questions around support needed for everyday things like showering, cooking and accessing your community will help form the basis of your first plan.
Your first plans with the NDIS will continue to give you the support you need now and will be in place for 12 months, giving you time to think about what supports are working for you to achieve your goals towards having a good life.
Reviewing THE PLAN
- Think about your life now, including what supports are helping and which are not.
- Identify your strengths, interests, opportunities and challenges.
- Consider your current informal, mainstream, funded and community supports.
- Think about your goals and what you want to achieve.
- Keep a written log of this information so you are prepared for your plan review.
- Remember… the NDIS can pay for supports that are reasonable and necessary for you. This means they are related to your disability and are required for you to live an ordinary life and achieve your goals.
- The NDIS is available to you as long as you need support to manage your disability.
If you need anymore information please contact our team on 1800 WE CONNECT or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org